Moscow Opera & Ballet
Experience Russia’s ancient capital as we spend seven full days touring Moscow’s most legendary buildings, soaking up its rich culture and enjoying unique encounters that simply couldn’t be found elsewhere. From amazing museums and stunning performances, to a walking tour of the city’s many landmarks, this trip is not to be missed.
Discover the intricate art of manufacturing balalaikas (a traditional Russian stringed instrument), learn more about this country’s rich history of folk art through exhibits and collections, and savour authentic Russian meals that will give us a taste of local life here. Moscow itself makes for an intriguing city break with its iconic architecture, rich political heritage and captivating history. From the Kremlin and the Red Square, to its vibrant performing arts scene, this is an unmissable tour that showcases the many highlights of this truly remarkable destination.
- Discover the world of balalaika, Russia’s traditional stringed instruments, during a special workshop
- Get a taste of authentic Russian cuisine at meal times in traditional restaurants throughout the tour
- Tour the fantastic Tchaikovsky House Museum, where we also enjoy a private recital
- Take a privileged backstage tour of the legendary Bolshoi Theatre, an unforgettable experience
- Discover the many delights of Moscow, both with the tour group and also at leisure
- Cultural Excursion
- Special Access
- All Inclusive
In the morning, we catch a flight from London to Moscow. Upon our arrival here, we sit down to dinner and also transfer to our hotel.
Our first full day begins with an introductory talk and then we depart for a tour of the city, which will be by both bus and on foot. We see the sights and soak up the atmosphere here before stopping for lunch. In the afternoon, we visit balalaika makers - a traditional Russian stringed instrument - and we are also treated to a short, private recital. After an early dinner, we take in our first stage performance of the week.
Today starts with a drive to the Russian Folk Art Museum, which is filled with unique lacquered, wood and stone objects. We spend time examining the displays here and then take a break for lunch. In the afternoon, we make our way to the Glinka Museum. This is an impressive collection that showcases rare and valuable musical instruments along with original scores, and we enjoy a tour of its captivating collections. Afterwards, we return to Moscow and sit down to a group dinner before heading back to our hotel for the evening.
A special experience awaits us this morning at the revered Bolshoi Theatre. Originally designed by architect Joseph Bové, this is a truly historic venue and we are privileged to be invited backstage for a private tour. After lunch, we visit the Greater Church of the Ascension. This church holds a great historical significance for many reasons and is a major landmark. Later, we return to our hotel and have an early dinner in the city.
Finally, we attend another rousing performance in Moscow.
This morning, we visit the Alexander Pushkin Memorial Apartment. This 18th century mansion is where Russia’s national poet spent three months of his family life. Pushkin, who greatly inspired Tchaikovsky, rented this space with his wife, Natalia, and it now houses a permanent exhibition dedicated to his stay in Moscow. In the afternoon, following a break for lunch, we are treated to another live performance. Dinner this evening will be enjoyed at a local restaurant and then we can return to our hotel for the remainder of the night.
Today we travel to the Tchaikovsky House Museum, where we enjoy a tour and also a recital. The legendary composer lived here from May 1892 until his death in 1893 and he also wrote the 6th Symphony here. Following our visit, we have lunch and then make our return to Moscow. Our final dinner will be at Café Pushkin, located on Tverskoy Boulevard. You can expect a stunning dining room filled with antiques and traditional
Russian cuisine to be served.
Before we head to the airport, we enjoy free time to further explore Moscow. Later, we catch our return flight back to London where we say goodbye to our new friends.
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included with wine at dinner
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Opera Tickets - Entry to all performances in the programme. We request the seats in the centre stalls as these offer the best view although seats in boxes are usually more expensive. There is no guarantee that we will get the seats requested as availability is often limited. Where it is possible to avoid boxes as an alternative we will, but in some cases it may be the only option.
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.