Arthur and Alfred - Legendary Monarchs at Winchester
Arthur and Alfred are two of Britain's most iconic kings. They share many things in common: both are seen as saviours and unifiers of the nation, both have a reputation for piety, and both have no known grave... Curiously while the semi-mythical Arthur's fame has risen to sharply. We shall explore why this has happened, how the myths surrounding the two grew up and how they have intertwined and influenced each other over the ages. There is no better place to do this than Winchester, Alfred's capital and according to Thomas Malory, Arthur's Camelot, and still possessor of a "round table".
- Andy Fear - Lecturer in classics at Manchester University. He has published on both the Classics world and the dark ages.
- Visit the key parts of Winchester associated with Arthur and Alfred including The Great Hall and the Medieval Round Table
- Behind the scenes at Winchester stores
- Lunch - Tea/Coffee
09.45 - Meet at The Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel. Paternoster Row, Winchester. S023 9LQ
10.00 - Introduction lecture by Andy Fear: On what we really know about the legendary Warlords.
11.30 - Walk to the Winchester Museum
12.45 - Lunch at the Mercure
13.45 - Walking tour to see The Great Hall, St Bartholomews Church and Medieval Round Table
15.00 - Taxi to the stores
15.15 - Visit the stores for a handling session on Life in Saxon Winchester and the high times of Saxon Kings
16.30 - Finish then taxi back to the Mercure
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
See something old in a new way
Andante Study Days offer rare, often unique, insights into the world of working archaeology. All are led by expert guides, and are designed to give guests access to some of the best of British Archaeology...
What to expect
- An expert guide to accompany you throughout the Day
- A mixture of lectures, practical demonstrations, handling sessions, guided tours and walks
- Special access to museums, sites and galleries otherwise closed to the general public (where specified)
- Small Groups 12-25 guests
- The company of like-minded people!