The festival takes place in the beautiful surroundings of Holland Park, at what is now just a shell of a former palace built in 1605. Known initially as Cope Castle, the Jacobean mansion was later renamed as Holland House. It was mostly destroyed by a bomb in 1940 and was never rebuilt. In 1986, the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea took control of what remained of the house and its surrounding grounds. With a canopy put over the area by the ruins of the house, a space was created for summer performances for visiting theatre, opera and dance companies.
Opera Holland Park was founded in 1996 by Michael Volpe, opening with a production of Verdi’s Un Ballo in Maschera. It has been running since then every summer, offering a selection of operas from the well-known repertoire to more obscure works. In 2019, the season will include the staging of Un Ballo in Maschera again.
- Tickets to two performances, Un Ballo in Maschera and Manon Lescaut
- Go behind-the-scenes
- Meet a member of the performing cast
- Enjoy a delicious picnic dinner at the opera house
- Stay at a hotel in Kensington
This afternoon we meet our opera guide at the hotel for a welcome drink and a talk before we are met by a member of staff who will give us an insight into the workings behind the scenes. An early dinner will be in the form of a picnic at the opera festival itself. Tonight, we go straight to our
first performance, Verdi’s Un Ballo in Maschera.
Hotel: Overnight in London
Meals: Dinner included
Our day begins with some free time to explore the local area, so why not go shopping or just simply relax? After an independent lunch there will be a talk on tonight’s opera, Puccini’s Manon Lescaut. Before the opera, we are treated to a meeting with one of the performers.
Hotel: Overnight in London
Meals: Breakfast & dinner included
In the morning, we enjoy breakfast at our hotel and then the tour will come to an end.
Meals: Breakfast included
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Meals - Most meals included with wine at dinner
- Opera Tickets - Entry to all performances in the programme. We request the seats in the centre stalls as these offer the best view although seats in boxes are usually more expensive. There is no guarantee that we will get the seats requested as availability is often limited. Where it is possible to avoid boxes as an alternative we will, but in some cases it may be the only option.
Allow yourself to be transported in a celebration of musical prestige as the rhythms of these cities pulse through your veins. These specially selected tours explore the rich sounds of New York the capital of artistic variety, the magic of opera in Italy and a celebration of creative spirits at the Puccini Festival. Indulge all your senses in the stunning scenery and sounds of the unrivalled Opera house in Milan and explore the royal palaces of Bavaria. We have special access to go behind the stage door and find the secrets of staging world-class theatrical productions and you'll get the chance to get up close to the show-stealing costumes.
The show-stopper of our spectacular opera holidays – be treated to world-renowned performances of music or dance, guaranteed with secured tickets for our guests.
Live and breathe the sounds of these cities & browse the full range of music and dance tours below.