Glyndebourne opera festival is one of the UK’s most prestigious. George Christie and his wife Audrey Mildway founded the festival in 1934. First held in Glyndebourne House, the festival became so popular that by the late 1980s a decision was made to build a completely new theatre to increase the seating capacity and provide better facilities. The new opera house was opened in 1994 on the day of 60th anniversary of the festival’s inaugural performance. The first opera to be staged here was Nozze di Figaro by Mozart, a composer who has been largely represented at this festival. Other operas have, however, been given prominence and the 2019 programme will include Dvorak’s Rusalka, based on a Slavic fairy tale and one of the most performed operas in the Czech language. The tradition of wearing evening dress during the Glyndebourne Festival originated with the founders and it continues to be customary today.
- Tickets to an opera, Rusalka
- Go behind-the-scenes
- Experience a private reception and dinner at the opera house
- Get to know a member of the performing cast during a special personal encounter
We will be welcomed at our hotel by our opera guide. After an introduction, we will transfer to Glyndebourne. Here we will have a private reception before attending tonight’s performance of Rusalka. During the interval, we will enjoy our dinner at the restaurant before continuing with the second half of the opera. Another private reception will follow the performance, during which we will have the privileged opportunity to meet members of the cast.
Hotel: East Sussex National In Uckfield
Meals: Dinner included
This morning we have breakfast at our hotel and then the tour comes to an end.
Meals: Breakfast included
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Meals - Most meals included with wine at dinner
- Opera Tickets - Entry to all performances in the programme. We request the seats in the centre stalls as these offer the best view although seats in boxes are usually more expensive. There is no guarantee that we will get the seats requested as availability is often limited. Where it is possible to avoid boxes as an alternative we will, but in some cases it may be the only option.
Allow yourself to be transported in a celebration of musical prestige as the rhythms of these cities pulse through your veins. These specially selected tours explore the rich sounds of New York the capital of artistic variety, the magic of opera in Italy and a celebration of creative spirits at the Puccini Festival. Indulge all your senses in the stunning scenery and sounds of the unrivalled Opera house in Milan and explore the royal palaces of Bavaria. We have special access to go behind the stage door and find the secrets of staging world-class theatrical productions and you'll get the chance to get up close to the show-stealing costumes.
The show-stopper of our spectacular opera holidays – be treated to world-renowned performances of music or dance, guaranteed with secured tickets for our guests.
Live and breathe the sounds of these cities & browse the full range of music and dance tours below.