Apulia is a fascinating area quite unlike the rest of Italy, characterised by high plateaux, coastal lagoons and lovely old seaside towns. This remarkable region has been home to many successive peoples and cultures, who have each left their own unique archaeological trace on the landscape, producing rock-cut cities and churches, and conical trulli.
Apulia was a cross-cultural bridge between east and west, attracting new settlers whose influence was absorbed and adapted to this particular terrain. This is a wonderful exploration of how this diverse and beautiful region has been forged by the great sweep of history.
- The little-visited heel of Italy: discover Roman battlefields, dramatic rock-cut churches and magnificent castles and cathedrals
- We enjoy a special visit to the Santomasi foundation - an atmospheric museum with beautiful collections and an impressive library
- The famous pepper-pot ‘trulli’ at Alberobello - built using the same techniques from Prehistoric to modern times and a World Heritage Site
- Historic Churches
- Special Access
- All Inclusive
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included - dinners with wine
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Field Notes
- Flights - London to Bari; Milan to London
- Hotels - 3 nights in a hotel which was a former convent based on the harbour of Trani, 2 nights in an elegant establishment set in a beautiful green park, just outside the city of Martina Franca, 2 nights in a 5 star hotel right in the historical heart of beautiful Baroque Lecce
3 nights in a hotel which was a former convent based on the harbour of Trani
2 nights in an elegant establishment set in a beautiful green park, just outside the city of Martina Franca
2 nights in a 5 star hotel right in the historical heart of beautiful Baroque Lecce
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.
Many of our tours can be linked together to form longer programmes. We are happy to arrange connecting flights and hotels, allowing you to spend as long as you wish exploring the ancient world... See suggestions below: