Latium - the Roman Rich
The picturesque hills and plains were an ideal retreat for the great and good of Imperial Rome, who came to escape the oppressive summer heat of the Eternal City. Emperor Hadrian himself built a villa complex here in the beautiful setting of Tivoli - his opulent and extravagant creation is one of the ‘blockbuster’ sites you’ll see on this tour.
While visitors often come to see the justly famous Roman ruins at Ostia and Tivoli, it is often the smaller, lesser-known places which enchant them; such as the acres of landscaped botanical gardens at Ninfa, or the dining room of the reclusive emperor Tiberius in a cave at Sperlonga, and Alba Fucens, a hidden gem in the Apennine mountains.
- A holiday fit for a senator! Opulent Imperial villas, secluded hills and an ancient superhighway (the Via Appia)
- Sprawling and extravagant villas at Tivoli and Sperlonga, built by Hadrian and Tiberius as a retreat from the politics and pressures of Rome
- Rome’s fertile hinterland, from the coast to the foothills of the Apennines and the famous gardens at Ninfa
- Special Access
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - Most meals included - dinners with wine
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Field Notes
- Flights - Scheduled return flights from London to Rome
- Hotels - 3 nights in a hotel which is made up of four restored buildings; a villa built in 1912, a convent dating from the 1930s, the nuns’ residence and the remains of a Roman villa. This hotel also has a swimming pool and a bar, 4 nights stay in a modern 4 star hotel which is set back from the main road with a private garden
3 nights in a hotel which is made up of four restored buildings; a villa built in 1912, a convent dating from the 1930s, the nuns’ residence and the remains of a Roman villa. This hotel also has a swimming pool and a bar
4 nights stay in a modern 4 star hotel which is set back from the main road with a private garden
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.
Many of our tours can be linked together to form longer programmes. We are happy to arrange connecting flights and hotels, allowing you to spend as long as you wish exploring the ancient world... See suggestions below: