At the eastern edge of Europe lies the ring of the Carpathian Mountains. The plains within these mountains were once the homeland of the Dacians, one of Rome’s great enemies, who were conquered in AD106.
Here the Romans stretched their defensive frontier from the Danube across the Carpathians to the Black Sea, in a complex system combining the naturally defensive geography with forts, walls and ditches. Once again at the frontier of empires in the medieval period, nobles and princes fortified themselves behind Gothic castle walls, inspiring all sorts of Transylvanian legends....
- Fascinating part of Eastern Europe which was the Dacian border of the Roman Empire and continued to be a frontier land.
- Led by an expert in Romanian archaeology, with special access to ongoing excavations.
- From the Dacians to Dracula! Unique programme covering Greek, Roman, Saxon and Gothic archaeology.
- Historic Churches
- Special Access
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach and 4x4s
- Meals - All meals included with water (wine with dinners)
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in program; tips included
- Field Notes
- Hotels - 3 nights in a historic hotel near the beach in Constanta; 2 nights in a modern hotel in the city of Bucharest; 1 night in a hotel in Brasov, close to the famous ‘Black Church’; 1 + 1 nights in a hotel on the central town square in old Sibiu; 1 night in a small conveniently located hotel near Hunedoara
- 3 nights in a hotel near the beach in Constanta: a short walk from the Black Sea, this historic hotel has been refurbished in a fin de siècle style.
- 2 nights in a modern hotel in the Old City of Bucharest.
- 1 night in a modern hotel in Brasov: close to the famous ‘Black Church’, close to the main square, overlooking the hilltop citadel and the Old Town.
- 1 + 1 nights in a historic hotel on on main sqyare in Sibiu.
- 1 night in a small conveniently located hotel near Hunedoara: the hotel has a garden with a small swimming pool and bar.
Many of our tours can be linked together to form longer programmes. We are happy to arrange connecting flights and hotels, allowing you to spend as long as you wish exploring the ancient world... See suggestions below: