Peru & the Nazca Lines
Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, and the enormous, enigmatic Nazca Lines — this is our classic tour of Peru and Bolivia. Explore the world-famous sites of the Inca alongside the intriguing remains of their lesser-known predecessors as we climb into the highlands to the ancient heartland of the Inca empire, which once covered over two million square kilometres...
From rainforest temples to royal estates on the Urubamba; from colonial cities to breathtaking golden artefacts left by the earliest Andean civilisations, this is truly an epic adventure.
- Discover the heart of Andean civilisation with David Drew, a leading expert in the archaeology of South America
- Visit world-class sites: Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, Cuzco and many others
- Fly over the enigmatic Nazca Lines, etched into the desert: hundreds of enormous, mysterious lines, trapezoids and images of animals
- The New World
- Special Access
- All Inclusive
We arrive in Lima.
We explore colonial Lima and visit the National Museum of Anthropology & Archaeology.
We visit the regional Museum in Ica to see a wealth of artefacts.
We visit the Antonini and Maria Reiche Museums. We continue to Cahuachi’s Nazca ceremonial centre.
Those who wish can take an optional flight over the Nazca Lines. We also visit the fishing village of Chala.
We drive to the city of Arequipa, 2300m high and surrounded by volcanoes. Its historic centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
We spend the day in Arequipa, first to the Museo Santuarios Andinos, which houses ‘Juanita’, a young sacrificial victim of the Inca period.
We make our way to Juliaca through magnificent scenery and visit the spectacular funerary towers of Sillustani, before continuing to Puno on Lake Titicaca.
We visit the restored Yavari Steam Ship. We continue to Bolivia and then Copacabana on the shores of the lake.
On the shores of Lake Titicaca we board our boat to the Islands of the Moon and Sun, sacred to the Incas. We explore the site of Pilko Kaima.
We make our way to La Paz and tour the city centre.
We visit the pre-Inca site of Tiwanaku and the outlying Puma Punku before moving on to Puno.
We travel on the famous high-altitude train which takes us on a spectacular journey to the Inca capital of Cuzco.
We explore imperial Cuzco including the Inca Coricancha.
Our first visit is to the beautiful royal estate of Chinchero.
Enjoy special visits in Ollantaytambo, where we are introduced to a variety of revived and thriving local crafts.
We spend an afternoon exploring the ruins of Machu Picchu.
We revisit Machu Picchu, before our afternoon return to Cuzco.
We enjoy a full day in Cuzco.
We travel to Pisac, to its imposing ruins and bustling market.
We fly from Cuzco to Lima and visit the Larco Herrera Museum.
Today, we travel home, arriving in the UK on Day Twenty-one.
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Field Notes
- Hotels - 2 nights in Miraflores, 2 nights in Nazca, 1 night in Chala, 2 nights in Arequipa, 2 nights in Puno, 2 nights in Copacabana, 1 night in La Paz, 5 nights in Cusco, 1 night in Ollantaytambo, 1 night in Calientes
- Flights - Scheduled return flights from London to Lima, via Amsterdam
2 nights in Miraflores
2 nights in Nazca
1 night in Chala
2 nights in Arequipa
2 nights in Puno
2 nights in Copacabana
1 night in La Paz
5 nights in Cusco
1 night in Ollantaytambo
1 night in Calientes
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.