Hallstatt to La Tène
Our tour of the European Iron Age takes us through some of the most beautiful and dramatic landscapes in the world: huge lakes, craggy peaks, green forests and pretty Alpine towns. This fertile land attracted prehistoric settlers, and gave trade routes through the mountains for vital commodities such as salt, amber, and eventually, iron. Early Iron Age Hallstatt culture became wealthy from salt, building huge settlements and leaving behind rich burials. The later La Tene culture, on Lac Neuchatel in Switzerland, is characterised by intricate metalwork, very well preserved. Led by Professor John Collis, an authority on the Iron Age, we delve into this time of traders and tribes in Austria and Switzerland.
- Fantastic finds from waterlogged remains to vivid 'Celtic' art and metal work
- We have arranged special access to excavations at the Hallstatt Salt Mines, accompanied by the Director of Hallstatt Museum.
- Special Access
- All Inclusive
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included with wine at dinner
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in program; tips included
- Field Notes
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.