Speed across the channel by Eurostar to explore a side of Paris rarely seen by tourists. The newly-conserved Roman remains hidden beneath the courtyard in front of Notre-Dame, underground crypts and miles of catacombs beneath the bustling streets. This is a very different vision of the ‘City of Light’: the secret archaeology tucked away amid late 19th century avenues and grand boulevards. No visit to Paris would be complete, however, without a trip to the Louvre to examine some key royal archaeological discoveries hidden among its galleries.
Enjoy unrivalled special access to the Roman baths that lurk below the Medieval wonders of the Musée de Cluny. We also enjoy a specially arranged visit to St-Denis Archaeological Unit - which carries out ‘rescue archaeology operations’ each year, within the town’s boundaries.
- Go beyond the Parisian boulevards to the hidden medieval streets and secret sites closed to the public
- Dine in the Michelin-starred Tour d’Argent, believed to be the oldest restaurant in Paris - overlooking the Seine and Notre-Dame
- Spend six nights in a faultless luxury hotel in one of the most exclusive areas of historic Paris
- Historic Churches
- Great Cities
- Small Group
- Just One Hotel
We travel to Paris. We check into our hotel, before enjoying an introductory exploration of the historic Marais district.
We visit the infamous Palais de Justice and the royal Sainte-Chapelle and former Revolution-era prison the Conciergerie. We end the day at the Carnavalet Museum
We begin the day at the Égouts, the sewers of Paris. This afternoon, we leave the city centre behind to visit the National Archaeological Museum. We also enjoy special access to the St Denis Archaeological Unit.
The Roman and medieval past of Paris continues to blend together as we visit the cathedral of Saint-Denis. We end the day with a special meal at the Michelin starred Tour d’Argent.
We start the day at the Arènes de Lutèce, site of the Roman amphitheatre. We continue to the snow-white confection of Sacre Coeur. The afternoon is spent in Montmartre, where we visit the atmospheric cemetery, and the Musée de Montmartre. This is followed by special access to the Musée de Cluny.
We begin at the iconic Notre Dame de Paris and view remains beneath its forecourt. We finish the day with a visit to Paris’ ultimate hidden attraction — the Catacombes de Paris.
We return home today.
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included - dinners with wine
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Field Notes
- Hotels - 6 nights in a luxurious and historic hotel in the heart of Paris, facing the Tuileries Gardens, and just a few steps away from many sites
- Trains - Scheduled return trains from London to Paris
6 nights in a luxurious and historic hotel in the heart of Paris, facing the Tuileries Gardens, and just a few steps away from many sites