Fantastically elaborate, brimming with sculpture and symbolism, the villas of central Italy embody the high art and low political intrigues of the Renaissance. Rapidly expanding under the emperors they reached their apogee in fantastically elaborate houses and gardens, brimming with sculpture and symbolism and embodying high art, low jokes and political intrigue.
Built for popes and princes, these villas hark back to a much older tradition, when Roman Emperors would retreat to their palaces in the Sabine hills. We explore the villa in its many and various forms, from the rustic farms of antiquity, beloved of Roman poets, to the vast complexes of later eras, when villas reflected their owners’ wealth and status.
- Spectacular villas built by classical and Renaissance grandees with their elaborate gardens and fountains
- Be astonished by the unique Mannerist sculptures of the Gardens of Bomarzo, colloquially known as the ‘Park of the Monsters’
- From austere Roman farmsteads, to imperial hunting lodges, the classical origins of Italian villas
- Historic Churches
- Special Access
- Low Single Supplement
- All Inclusive
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included - dinners with wine
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Field Notes
- Hotels - 4 nights accommodation in a modern 4* hotel which has been fashioned from two separate former late-19th century mansions. 3 nights stay in the historic town centre of Civita Castellana, only 50km from the historic Duomo. The heart of the old town is a warren of lanes lined with tufa houses and mansions.
- Flights - Scheduled return flights from London to Rome
4 nights accommodation in a modern 4* hotel which has been fashioned from two separate former late-19th century mansions.
3 nights stay in the historic town centre of Civita Castellana, only 50km from the historic Duomo. The heart of the old town is a warren of lanes lined with tufa houses and mansions.
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.