Glories of Istanbul
Location: Ashmolean Museum, Oxford
A day amidst the bright shining tiles and wonderful pottery of the Ottoman period, with a chance to handle some of the Ashmolean Museum’s remarkable objects.
- Led by Terry Richardson, one of Andante’s most popular guide lecturers, who knows the great metropolis of Istanbul inside out.
- Special access to the Jameel Centre for the Study of Islamic Art, in the heart of Oxford’s historic Ashmolean Museum.
- A special tour of the Islamic and Middle East gallery with Terry Richardson.
Istanbul is one of the great cities of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of cultures that produced some of the most iconic architecture in the world. During the Ottoman period, the city became a beacon of art, with skilled craftspeople producing all manner of pieces that retain their ability to thrill. This study day is an ideal introduction to the objects that make up the history of Istanbul- the incredible feats of creativity that characterise the city’s spirit. Brought back to Oxford by intrepid collectors, the Jameel Centre for the Study of Islamic Art is home to many remarkable objects from Turkey and the Middle East. A truly privileged first glimpse of the treasures that await in Istanbul itself.
Special access: to the Jameel Centre for the Study of Eastern Art, and the Western Art Print Room of Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum.
The lecturers were enthusiastic and very knowledgeable. It was fascinating to go behind the scenes in the Jameel Centre and the Print Room - 2015
Morning: 09:45am Start
09:45 - We arrive at the St. Giles entrance to the Ashmolean Museum, and enjoy tea and biscuits in the Board Rooms looking out over the spires of Oxford.
10:00 - We begin with an introductory lecture from Terry Richardson. He will present us with the history and archaeology of the great city of Istanbul.
11:00 - We break for tea and coffee before the lecture continues.
11:30 - After an introduction to Ottoman Art, we will have a handling session incorporating Ottoman period ceramics and title in the Jameel Centre.
13:00 - We leave for Lunch at a nearby French restaurant.
14:45 - We visit the Print Room of the Ashmolean Museum, to view European impressions of Istanbul, accompanied by Ashmolean curators.
15:45 - We end the day with a guided tour of the Islamic Middle East Gallery with Terry Richardson.
16:15 - Disperse, or choose to browse the Ashmolean Museum shop with your special discount.
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Fact Sheet - Including background information about your Guide Lecturer, historical context for the Day, detailed itinerary, a suggested reading list and directions to the venue
Handling the pottery. The exhibition of relevant illustrations in the Print Room, which was presented with charm and so modestly, though it must have taken a long time to assemble. Being a very small group with a high ratio of access to the speakers. Being allowed time in the Jameel Collection with an informed guide-lecturer, rather than self-study. The balance between activity and a chance to rest was appreciated.
See something old in a new way
Andante Study Days offer rare, often unique, insights into the world of working archaeology. All are led by expert guides, and are designed to give guests access to some of the best of British Archaeology...
What to expect
- An expert guide to accompany you throughout the Day
- A mixture of lectures, practical demonstrations, handling sessions, guided tours and walks
- Special access to museums, sites and galleries otherwise closed to the general public (where specified)
- Small Groups 12-25 guests
- The company of like-minded people!