East of Thessaloniki are the mountains and plains of Thrace. Its ancient kingdoms were alternately at war with and allied to Persians, Greeks and Macedonians. Discover the strategic cities that grew up in the wake of passing conquerors; Phillipi, Mesembria with its Romano-Thracian chariot burials, and catch a glimpse of the city of Amphipolis.
Thrace’s landmark archaeological sites and Byzantine, Medieval, and Ottoman monuments add to its rich cultural heritage. This wild land is notable for the peaceful co-existence of Christian and Muslim traditions.
- Discover traces of Roman, Medieval and Ottoman history
- Explore the coastal ruins of Mesembria, the ancient Greek polis of Zone
- Visit the famous Classical sanctuary of the Great Gods in Samothrace
- Enjoy special access to magnificent decorated Thracian tombs at Mikri Doxipara-Zoni
- Historic Churches
- Ancient Greek
- Special Access
- Low Single Supplement
- All Inclusive
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included with water (wine with dinners)
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in program; tips included
- Field Notes
- Hotels - 4 nights in central Kavala, in a hotel boasting panoramic views from its rooftop lounge, 1 night in a simplistic hotel situated on rugged Samothrace, 3 nights in Astir Egnatia Alexandroupolis, in a hotel located among pine forest
- Flights - London to Thessaloniki; Alexandroupolis to London
4 nights in central Kavala, in a hotel boasting panoramic views from its rooftop lounge
1 night in a simplistic hotel situated on rugged Samothrace
3 nights in Astir Egnatia Alexandroupolis, in a hotel located among pine forest
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.
Over 140 Journeys into the Ancient World
At Andante, we are driven by a passion for the past. Founded and run by archaeologists over 30 years ago, Andante remains unique among travel companies... putting archaeology at the heart of everything we do.
However far-flung or close to home the destination, our ethos remains the same: a real holiday, led by an expert guide, where every day is spent in good company, amid beautiful landscapes, immersed in the stuff of past lives...