Travel through spectacular Peruvian mountain scenery, on the trail of some of the greatest of Andean cultures – the Moche, Chimu and the mysterious Chachapoya, ‘the people of the cloud forest’, warriors and traders who initially resisted Inca conquest and whose city of Kuelap towers magnificently above the Utcubamba Valley. A highlight of our tour is special access to the ‘mummies of Leymebamba’, found in tiny houses on a cliff face above the remote ‘Lake of the Condors’. The founder of the museum tells us their remarkable story.
Led by David Drew, this unique tour reveals the glories of Peru beyond Machu Picchu. See temples, pyramids and abandoned mud brick cities as we step into a lost world of Andean archaeology – little-seen and still being uncovered.
- Drive into the mountains of the Chachapoyas region – ‘land of the Cloud People’
- See the imposing mud brick cities of the Moche and Chimu and the fantastic, recently discovered riches of Moche rulers’ tombs
- Visit the National Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology in Lima
- The New World
- Historic Churches
- Special Access
- All Inclusive
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included with wine at dinner
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Field Notes
3 nights in a modern hotel in Lima
3 nights in an upscale hotel in Trujillo
2 nights in a contemporary hotel in highland Cajamarca
2 nights in a traditional hotel in elevated Leymebamba
1 night in Nuevo Tingo
1 night in a colonial-style hotel in cloud forest-ringed Chachapoyas
3 nights in a modern hotel in Chiclayo
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.