Roman Army Study Day at Caerleon
The Roman army had three long-term legionary bases in Britain and one of them, Caerleon near Newport in Wales, is an absolute gem. This study day provides the opportunity for a guided walk around the remains of the fortress in the morning with Dr Mike Bishop, a specialist on the Roman army, inspecting the ramparts (complete with ovens and latrine), barracks, amphitheatre, and baths. Our tour will take us around the periphery of the fortress, locating past excavations and reviewing what was found in each. After lunch, we visit the iconic National Roman Legion Museum in the centre of the fortress and examine some of the many finds from the site, not only in the wonderful displays in the galleries, but also in the stores, with the curator, Dr Mark Lewis.
Meet at 10am at Caerleon Amphitheatre Car Park - NP18 1AY
A walk right round the legionary fortress visiting the visible remains of:
- The Prysg Field barracks;
- The south-eastern and south-western defences;
- The amphitheatre;
- The fortress baths.
This will include passing and briefly describing excavated areas no longer visible (e.g. Roman Gates and the Castle Baths).
Visit to the National Roman Legion Museum in the centre of Caerleon to:
- explore its displays;
- get behind-the-scenes access to the collections that are not normally on display with the chance to handle items,with curator Dr Mark Lewis.
- inspect a Roman legionary in full kit;
Visit the gallery with Dr Mark Lewis
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Fact Sheet - Including background information about your Guide Lecturer, historical context for the Day, detailed itinerary, a suggested reading list and directions to the venue
Interested in seeing a little more of the ancient world? We run over 100 tours explore history, archaeology and culture all over the world including... See suggestions below:
See something old in a new way
Andante Study Days offer rare, often unique, insights into the world of working archaeology. All are led by expert guides, and are designed to give guests access to some of the best of British Archaeology...
What to expect
- An expert guide to accompany you throughout the Day
- A mixture of lectures, practical demonstrations, handling sessions, guided tours and walks
- Special access to museums, sites and galleries otherwise closed to the general public (where specified)
- Small Groups 12-25 guests
- The company of like-minded people!