Havana and the Ballet Festival
The remarkable rise of ballet in post-revolution Cuba owes much to the dedication of its prima ballerina assoluta, Alicia Alonso.
Forced to lie motionless for a year after an operation, Alicia taught herself the role of Giselle and became a principal dancer in New York, despite being partially sighted.
Founding her own company and academy in her native Havana, Alicia helped Castro set up a state ballet – the Ballet Nacional de Cuba, whose students rocketed to international fame.
This tour is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go backstage at the Grand Theatre, home of the Cuban National Ballet. Watch world-class classical ballet, and pick up points on technique at the Cuban National Ballet School.
Wander round UNESCO World Heritage Sites bathed in balmy temperatures that only hint at Cubans’ fiery souls. Sway to a heady mix of rhumba, jazz and salsa. Drink your fill of the lush, tobacco-farming Viñales Valley and view fine art, exhibitions and workshops. Meet the craftspeople who repair violins, to help meet Cuba’s shortage of musical instruments.
- Exclusive meeting with the Malpaso Dance Company
- Exclusive meeting with the Acosta Ballet Company (and if we’re lucky Carlos Acosta might greet us himself)
- Cultural Excursion
- Special Access
- All Inclusive
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - All meals included with wine at dinner
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Performance Tickets - Entry to all performances in the programme
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.