Discover something old in a whole new light with our range of study days. These unique days out offer hands-on, privileged insights into the working world of archaeology. Not only are these days all led by expert guides, they have also been carefully designed to showcase some of the most fascinating examples of British archaeology through behind-the-scenes visits, tours of excavation sites and chances to personally handle artefacts.
UK-based Study Days
All of our Study Days are based in the UK. They'll give you a a great insight into key cultures before your holidays. Or, if you can, book into a Study Day once you're back to continue your learning.
What can you expect on an Andante Travels study day? Let us enlighten you…
- You’ll be part of a small group of like-minded, curious individuals with a maximum size of 25 and a minimum of just 12 – ideal for hands-on learning!
- Enjoy a fusion of practical demonstrations, handling sessions, guided tours and walks, and lectures as part of your experience.
- Let us grant you special access to museums, galleries and archaeological sites that are otherwise closed to the general public. Please check the individual study day for any exclusive or private experiences it might include.
- Your study day will be led by a renowned expert in archaeology, history or whatever the subject of your chosen day explores. From best-selling authors to leading scholars, encounter the past in the company of those who know it the best.
- Study Day bookings are non-refundable, however if you wish to transfer your booking to another Study Day you can transfer up to 10 weeks before the Study Day departure date. Find out more about flexible booking here.
12 November 2021
19 November 2021
13 April 2022
7 May 2022
What to expect
All of our study days are UK based and most of which are in locations that are well served by public transport and major routes alike. From a chance to reconstruct an ancient human skeleton in Winchester and an all-encompassing tour of Henry VIII’s incredible former home of Hampton Court, to the Ice Age carving-filled caves at Creswell Crags, we’ve got all corners of the country – along with its diverse stories and rich history – covered.
One of the things people often write to us about is the memorable experiences they’ve had during our study days. A day out with Andante is more than just a chance to observe or learn from lectures, it is an opportunity to encounter the past first-hand – and immersion is key. Many of our study days include money-can’t-buy experiences, such as an invitation to walk among the mighty monoliths at Stonehenge before the site opens to the public or an access-all-areas pass to both admire and handle the precious Egyptian artefacts housed within London’s Petrie Museum. We’ve worked hard to ensure that a vast selection of our study days include unique experiences, just be sure to check the individual itineraries to see if your chosen day features anything extra special.
All of our study days are led by celebrated experts in archaeology and history, and most of these days out also include lunch or refreshments. When you book, you’ll also receive an interesting fact sheet ahead of the event itself that will enlighten you on the subject at hand. All that’s left for you to do is get yourself to and from the event!
A very well organised programme of visits, accompanied by very professional and knowledgeable guides. Excellent information from the company. Feefo reviewer